Friday, September 21, 2007

23 Things - #15 Web 2.0

The video about the ever changing web was very interesting and well done. It provided some thought as to where are we as a technologically linked society should be going as technology and its functions change over the coming years. Most of the tools we have looked at during this program seem to relate to various searchs, either of blogs or sites. While trying to sift through the vast melange of webpages out there which these tools are good but at somepoint when are people going to simply say "Enough is enough" and move on and put down the keyboard and simply walk away. I personally always try to spend at least one 24 hour period a week away from my personal computer, and instead read a (or more) book(s).
Library 2.0 is a interesting look on how the rest of the world is changing and while I agree that the library is now not the only bastion of information which people have avalible to them, I am not sure that radical changes are what is called for. People will still read physical books, not simply a screen, and there will always be a place for a library. If it means lessening the non-fiction collection and simply moving to a more comprehensive fiction collection I know not.
With regards to Library 2.0 I think we as a system may want to heed some the suggestions. For example, while I like our new RFID security system, I seriously think that going systemwide checkout/returns with RFID is wasteful. From Michael Stephens' "Into a world of New Librarianship" we need to control technology to truely useful not just cool. RFID is very flashy as technology goes and it will interest patrons but I am not sure the cost justifies the end results. If a RFID tag runs something like $0.35 and every item has to be tagged, I think I would never want to delete items from the catalouge as new ones come in. The system buys something like 150,000 new items each year and much correspondingly delete roughly the same number of items. That is a lot of wasted money annually, in addition to the initial setup costs for the system in both material cost and man hours to tag and deal with the computers. Just my two cents.

No comments: