Monday, September 24, 2007

23 Things - #16 Wikis

Ahh the topics on things I already have a background with. Wiki's are an interesting subject for me as I almost consider them more of an online bulletin board with better control of subjects. I say this because Wikis only exist if a user builds a page, they just don't magically appear with information. I like Wikis they do allow for a communal sharing of information in many ways. I have been a part of the Diacon 4 Wiki which was set up to go psudeo-frame by frame (as in someone excised out frames which were of no significance) of a animated music video that has many many references to other items from books to movies. And in the sense of creating a collabrative effort I like Wikies and I like Wikipedia for interesting snippets of information I don't know but I still take everything stated with a grain of salt.
I find it interesting that people are setting up Wikis to go through and explain their best ways of dealing with library customers and the like. The thing is if no one or only one person is building the entry is it truely worthwhile or helpful? Sharing information is great but I don't think this is the proper medium. Reading a paragraph about how someone handles a situation under different circumstances that your own can lead to problems. As a form that Reader's Advisory could move into I think it is a wonderful thing, but you have to get people to produce meaningful entries and that is always the problem.

No comments: