Friday, September 28, 2007

23 Things - #22 Gutenberg on Overdrive

Ahh online libraries, how cool. So looking at Overdrive I find it very cool, in terms of who they are partnered with to provide both books, audio, and video. I also forgot how challenging it was to actually get onto the consortium site from the 23 things page. This means they have a very nice selection and checking out the materials seems easy enough. My only concern would be the software and the fact that I really don't like sitting in front of my computer that long, and lacking an MP3 player probably not my cup of tea just yet. Now if only they would get some better video downloadables.
Project Gutenberg was interesting, in what they are doing with the ability to download entire CDs full of content for the purpose of burning, and the fact that all of the material is off of copyright. Or rather the material is no longer copyright controlled....why can't I think of the right term? I liked the idea of offering up a CD ISO worth of material but as most the material is 75+ years old some of it seems almost comical compared to contemporary material but still very cool. Gutenberg could also use a better search tool as I had a hard time trying to use it, but it may have been my error. Still fun sites.

No comments: