Thursday, September 27, 2007

23 Things #19 2.0 Sites

Well I checked out three websites for this activity. I looked at "Lulu" under books, "Cocktail Builder" from Fun, and Digg.
I thought Lulu was interesting as it is or seems to be a great self-publishing site for small authors. I liked the ability to get an estimate and chose what you wanted done to build a book. I also found the "Sell" area cool, because while you can find some small authors this seems like a great place to find new titles and authors.
I looked at "Cocktail Builder" actually becuase a friend of mine asked me a while back if I had a bartending/mixing guide. I did not but when I saw this site listed on the 2.0 Award winners I thought I would try it. I think it is not as nice as I would have hoped for. I would like a better searcher for drinks with titles but overall a very good site that simply needs more input to build an even larger library of drinks.
And I looked at Digg simply because I know of it. I think it may never get the popularity of Slash-Dot, but it is coming along. And it was created by Kevin Rose who is a most interesting person. I do find the idea of user chosen content interesting but I am always a bit leary of those sorts of sites.
Of these sites only Lulu has a direct application in the library simply because it is about finding small press books by new authors and that is very cool. Cocktail builder of course has no place in the branch unless as a helper to find out about a drink for information purposes, in much the same way as Digg would show you the hot sites/stories of the day.

No comments: